• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying GameParadise! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trailer The new Indika trailer asks some difficult questions about fairness

1713931189035.png

Indika is a game quite unlike any other I've seen before and with every new trailer my interest grows deeper. At first glance it is a third-person adventure game with exploration, environmental puzzles, and platforming. Nothing super new about that but it's a good start. But wait, it's about a nun? And she's questioning everything about everything? And the devil is by her side? Every time a trailer drops, a new "and" gets added to my list of reasons to play. Today's trailer adds a new layer to my intrigue, as our protagonist nun asks some difficult ethical questions.

Set in Russia at the turn of the 19th century, Indika tells the story of a nun in a world where religious visions clash with harsh reality. Follow a nun (Indika) on a journey of self-discovery with a rather interesting companion at her side: the devil. While on a quest to deliver an important letter, Indika is compelled to confront the foundations of her faith. Was her devotion ever voluntary? This throws her off, shaping her narrative and those of the people around her. The unfairness of life is a truth we should all be in agreement on, at least.

Indika's story is inspired by cinematic auteurs like Lanthimos, Aster, and Aronofsky; influence is also found in literary luminiaries like Bulgakov, Dostoevsky, and Gogol. It is described as a tapestry of disorienting threads and philosophical debates. The time is captured through detail in architectural styles and religious heritage. Players are invited to actually think rather than just distract themselves.

"Indika stands as a testament (pun intended) to the depth and maturity that video games can achieve as an artistic medium," states Rufus Kubica, Product Management Lead at 11 bit studios, in a press release. "The game not only combines an imaginative narrative with a dark sense of humour but also delves into the profound depths of human emotion, spirituality, and the nature of sin."

"Produced by the indie studio Odd Meter, Indika challenges the conventional norms of game development," he continues. "The juxtaposition of religious themes with the harsh, twisted landscapes of Russia, and the unlikely companionship between Indika and the devil himself, creates a compelling narrative that is both odd and emotionally resonant. Indika is an experience that at times pushes the boundaries of what games can be, offering players seeking something more meaningful and mature an unforgettable journey beyond the confines of traditional gaming narratives. It's truly a passion project that resonates deeply with our publishing vision."

Indika is made by a team of – in my opinion – incredibly brave, creative, and perseverant people. The development team began its life in Russia, as did the game itself. It already walked a fine line between legal and criminal but when the war on Ukraine started, everyone found the issue to be both scary and morally difficult… so they up and left. All of them. The entire 16-person team moved from Russia to Kazakhstan, then picked up development once again.

Developed by Odd Meter and published by 11 bit studios, Indika will be released for PC via Steam/Epic/GOG on May 2; it will launch for PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series later that month.

Recent Content

Newest Downloads

Tutorials

Back